Camping with a big group of family and friends is one of the best memorable times you can have together. You get to spend time in your favorite natural spot away from the hustles of the city in a 12 person tent.
In your preferred camping place of choice, you can go hiking, fishing and enjoy nature in the best way you can.
When camping in a big group you need a big tent for comfort reasons and feeling at home. A 12 person tent is the best for this particular occasion. In this article, we are going to check out some of the best 12 person tents in the market and make some comparisons to make it easier for you to make the right decision.
Our Top Picks of Best 12 Person Tents
Area per person (ft)
Season to use
Packed size (In)
Peak height (In)
Easiest Set Up Model
Core 12 Person Instant Cabin Ten
summer, winter, autumn, spring
Best On A Budget
Ozark Trail 12-Person 3-Room Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room
Ozark Trail L Shaped 12-Person 3 Room Instant Cabin Tent
summer, late spring and early autumn
Summer, spring, and fall
Reviws of 8 Best 12 Person Camping Tents in 2021
Based on their awesome structures, thoughtful layouts, and high-quality materials, we carefully pick 8 best 12 man tents for you to choose. Let’s start now!
When out camping, you would need protection from elements and a way to keep yourself cool on warm nights and warm on cold nights. Some other large camping tents fail to provide campers with the full protection that they require.
The Core Person Instant cabin Tent is large enough to accommodate 12 people comfortably and includes all the properties found in a smaller tent. This tent can withstand harsh environmental conditions, keep you safe and comfortable and also provide you with the privacy and space that is usually lost when camping.
- Since this is an instant tent, it means that the frame extends before attaching it to the tent. All you have to do is extend the telescopic poles and spread the tent. This is a very important benefit since you save on time and energy.
- This tent is also a cabin type tent, meaning that it is very tall (about 80 inches) with steep and straight walls. This is beneficial for giving enough headroom and you can also fix a lantern at the top most height.
- The Core 12 person instant cabin tent is freestanding meaning that you can pitch it on rough terrain. You have to ensure that you have enough space before pitching it up. Due to its large floor area 180ft2, it provides enough support and you can also fit in a camping cot that raises a few inches above the ground to protect you from lying on rough terrain beneath.
- The Core instant cabin tent is a 3 season type of tent. It has a lot of mesh including a mesh ceiling, big windows on all sides, and two big doors. It has a small fly and is tall to withstand strong winds. You can only use this tent during calm weather situations.
- The floor is waterproof and standard polyethylene. The fly and the tent are polyester incorporated with H20 Block Technology which means an active bead technology combined with water repellent material and waterproof polyester panels for faster water runoff.
Ozark Trail is a popular brand for family camping tents. They have a variety of 12 person tents. The Ozark Trail 12 person 3 room Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room has a Y shaped structure containing 3 rooms. Each room has its window and door.
It is a convenient camping tent for a family of up to four children due to its huge space capacity.. It is a freestanding cabin type of tent and it only takes around two minutes to set up.
- Straight and tall walls with a peak height of 76 inches. It has 3 doors and 10 windows which close and open for the protection of essentials, which allows enough headroom and ventilation. The straight walls allow efficient rainwater runoff.
- One great feature of this tent is the front screen room and is a fully floored area like the rest of the tent. The screen walls are double-layered offering protection from insects and other unwanted elements. It offers a wonderful relaxation spot and shade from the sun.
- This tent has an instant set-up feature thus great for campers who change locations frequently. It has a maximum setup time of 2 minutes. The poles are pre-attached to the tent and telescopic. All you need to do is expand the telescopic poles and extend the tent. Thanks to the pre-attached poles, you don’t have to spend a second trying to fix poles like the traditional camping tent.
- The Ozark Trail 12 person 3 room instant cabin tent with screen room is a freestanding tent. You can add the fly later after erecting the tent by clipping it to the poles. You can move or rotate this tent for short distances after erecting it. It offers strong support and safety from mildly strong winds.
- The windows and ceiling are mesh so there is no ventilation problem. However, panels would need to be placed on the windows and doors when raining. There are three vents in the tent, one per room. These vents are small and cannot fit an air conditioner.
This is a big tent that requires a 16×16 ft area to put it up. The tent is L shaped with 3 different cabin rooms totaling to 198ft2 capacity. The tent also has an awning area almost the size of one cabin perfect for relaxing under the shade.
It is an instant and cabin style tent and can be pitched in less than two minutes thanks to the pre attached poles that extend upon unfolding the tent, which reduces the time spent in pitching up the tent and also saving your energy for more camping adventure. It is used for warm weather camping such as summer, late spring and early autumn.
- This is a freestanding tent inclusive of stakes. It is quite tall and not favorable for camping in places with strong winds. This means that it holds its shape without being staked thanks to the pre attached poles. It can also be staked to keep it firm during strong winds.
- Because of its pre assembled frames and telescopic legs which fold up making it a piece of big luggage. However, despite its size it is perfect for many people due to its available space, especially those are on car camping.
- The tent also comes with an electric cord port and has ground vents big enough to fit an air conditioner. This is perfect to have despite having electricity in the camp or not.
- All the supporting poles in this tent are made of steel hence the weight, but gives it a firm and dependable construction.They are also telescopic hence you can be able to extend them to your desired length.
- The floor of the tent has 1000D thick polyethylene and extends to the sides six inches above ground level. This kind of construction is reliable and waterproof. It also has a durable fly, 68D polyester with PU coating giving it 600mm waterproof coating.
The Bushnell Sport Series for 12 people is the largest in this series and includes 4 and 8 persons. It is a cabin-style tall and huge free standing camping tent with two added loops to support its frame.
This tent is a 3 room structure and comes with two removable dividers. Each room has its door and windows. It has double layers of panels and meshes for privacy and protection from the rain.
- The ceiling is almost all made of mesh and you can see what is above you when you remove the mesh. If the sky is clear you can remove the fly and sleep gazing at the stars. The added floor vent enables air circulation when the windows are closed with the panels during rainy weather and summer.
- The poles are from a combination of fiberglass and steel contributing to the weight of the tent, but it gives the tent its freestanding ability and firmness. It also comes with 14 stakes to ensure that you completely stake it to the ground for improved support.
- The tent is from a flame resistance fabric (polyester) that fulfills the requirements of CPAI-84. This is beneficial in case the wind blows some sparks to the tent from the bonfire.
- The small fly that only covers the ceiling protects from rain and enables you to have great views through the windows. The windows are zippered and meshed for privacy and protection from the rain.
The NTK Super Arizona GT Tent comes with a full fly and protects you from harsh weather conditions. It is the largest tent from the Arizona series hence the word “Super”. It is a three-season tent, non-freestanding, and comes with double-layer protection.
The tent has a tunnel type shape but is actually an extended dome asymmetrically on the two sides. It has a full coverage fly making it stand out from most tents of similar sizes. It also offers complete protection from external elements like rain, wind, and vermin.
- The tent has two asymmetrical rooms and comes with one divider equipped with a zipper. The two doors are large and also asymmetric. One is the side door and the other one is on the front part of the tent. The two doors offer access to the two rooms and also offers privacy.
- The fly is PU coated polyester and has a waterproof rating of 2500mm. It has sealed seams making the fly offer full protection. The inner tent is 50% polyester mesh protecting from vermin and mosquitoes.
- It comes with two short poles for awning and five tent poles. The fiberglass poles and the aluminum ring and pin system enable an easy setup.
- The ventilation system in the tent includes 3 vents meshed around the walls on the doors and windows. This provides full air circulation in the tent.
The Core 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent with Side Entrance comes with a beautiful design. It is a two-room tent that is tall and freestanding. It has a steel frame and is perfect for summer. It has a D shaped door on one side and an inverted T shaped door on another side.
This camping tent can be set up in less than two minutes eliminating all the stress unlike the traditional camping tent.
- It comes with one removable room divider creating a two-room unit for privacy. Each of the rooms has its door for easy access. It has five big windows giving the tent a screen room resemblance and a wider view point of the outside environment.
- The steel frame is pre-attached to the tent for easy setup. It also comes along with two fiberglass poles for making small brims on top of the doors.
- The fabric of the tent is Polyester with a 600mm hydrostatic rating. It contains H20 Block Technology and water-resistant fabric. This makes the fabric long lasting and efficient for water runoff during a rainy day.
- This tent has excellent ventilation thanks to a bigger floor vent and mesh that surrounds the tent. You can also open or close the ventilations to let hot air out and cool air in during those hot summer seasons.
- It fits 3 air beds or 6 core sleeping pads for a comfortable sleep.
- Strategically placed gear/storage pockets are positions throughout the tent to keep your items handy and organised.
This camping tent is a huge and tall freestanding 3 season family tent and comes at an unbelievably cheap price. It can be pitched on any terrain but you need to be sure that it covers the full surface.
The Browning Camping Big Horn Tent is cabin-type and self-supporting and firm and there is no need to stake it to the ground in calm weather. In case of strong winds you can stake it to the ground if the topography allows it. It is also quite big and the parking size fits in a car for transportation.
This tent has a long vertical size and the roofing poles are made of fibreglass. It cannot withstand horizontal pressure from the wind or support the weight of snow hence not suitable for use during the winter season.
- This tent has two rooms and separate doors and six windows. The windows have a mesh from the outside and have a waterproof panel from the inside. The mesh prevents mosquitos and vermin and the panel prevents rain water from penetrating the tent
- It comes with shock-corded poles including 5 fiberglass poles and 6 steel poles that support the roof, corners, and awnings. One fiberglass pole runs through the center of the roof for a firm support.
- The floor is from durable waterproof polyester that is 150D PU coated with a rating of 2000mm waterproof and repels water. The fly is also made from polyester that resists UV damage.
- The Browning Camping Big Horn Tent comes with a storage shelf of three large mesh pockets in each room. This gives you a designated area for your kits and clothes.
This attractive camping tent is easy to assemble and very spacious. It is best for families that check the weather first since it will not hold too much in harsh weather conditions.
The Ozark Trail Instant Cabin is a rectangular tent for 12 people with a surface area of 20×10. It is a cabin style with steep and tall walls.
It has a lovely design and is set up instantly thanks to the pre-attached frame. You just need to unfold it from its bag and extend the telescopic leg poles within less than two minutes.
- It comes with three removable dividers creating 3 spacious rooms. This provides space, comfort and privacy for the camping enthusiasts.
- It is a freestanding structure and heavy but will not withstand strong winds if not staked down correctly. The freestanding feature in this tent saves time during setup and makes it easy for a beginner.
- It has a dark material used in the construction of the roof and you can also control the amount of light that comes into the tent. You will be able to sleep longer in the morning and take a short nap during the day. It also gives your tent a cool environment on a hot summer day.
- The fabric of the tent is polyester coated for waterproof purposes. The ceiling is double layered with mesh and panels. You can close the ceiling with the zippers on the panels during a rainy day.
- This camping tent can fit four queen size beds but you will have to walk over them. The best option is putting some bunk cots to save on the floor area and you can also store some luggage underneath the camping cots.
How to Choose a 12-Person Tent?
A 12 person tent is the best choice for camping not only because it fits 12 people but also great for someone who loves added space. You can also set up a small kitchen, eatery, or living room in the tent for the camping duration.
Comes with extra features
Such big camping tents come with extra features like screened porches and more interior pockets. They also have more floor and wall space as compared to other tents. Also the bigger the tent the more likely it will have separate rooms, more windows, multiple entrances and privacy flaps.
Who is the 12-Person Tents Best for?
The 12 person tent is best for people looking to accommodate a large person camping party. Yet, this capacity is only for the number of sleeping pads that can fit in it. For real camping, this capacity is not realistic keeping in mind that some of these 12 person tents do not have storage space for luggage. So, the maximum capacity can be 5 to 10 people.
How Much Does a 12-Person Tent Might Cost?
A good camping tent for 12 people ranges anywhere between $200 and $1000. You can get them at a discounted price depending on the store you buy from. You should also not compromise quality over price.
A good high-quality tent is always expensive and you need to dig deeper into your pockets to purchase the most efficient 12 person tent that will not leave you with any regrets.
Will Campgrounds Accept 12-Person Tents?
Not all camping ground pitches are the same. Some camping grounds are aware that large families would be bringing along a 12 person camping tent but might have limited space. The worst thing that you would not want is turning up with a large camping tent to a less spacious camping ground.
This does not mean that you should not buy a 12 person camping tent for yourself. All you have to do is know your tent’s dimensions and call ahead to ensure the camping rounds tent choice and if it is suitable for you.
How to Set Up a 12-Person Camping Tent Easily?
You do not have to be intimidated by the big size of 12 person camping tents. They might seem difficult to set up but can be assembled within minutes without help from anyone. Check out the video below to get some tips.
This is my choice list for the best 12 person tents that you can find out there. All the 12 person camping tents on this guide are tried and tested. You can also choose a bigger tent if you need more room for some extra few people.
Most of the tents in this review are easy to set up with enough space inside for queen size air beds. You can set them up within minutes despite their gigantic sizes due to the pre-attached frames and telescopic poles.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review. If you have experience with these awesome tents please do not hesitate to share and comment below. Otherwise, have a great day!